A few weeks ago I wrote about my experiences with a new combination of Shimano R107 shoes and 105 5800 SPD-SL pedals. I’m pleased to report that both are going very well and continue to be fine upgrades to my Willier.
The only drawback that I’ve had was the venting located on the top of shoe, which in poor conditions; result in cold and wet feet. So I did walk-in purchase at the Port Melbourne franchise of Freedom Machine and purchased a pair of Bontrager RXL softshell shoe covers.
Ordinary this would have been a straight to Wiggle or Chainreaction purchase, but I thought doing an in person fitting would be sensible. So took one of my trusty R107’s to the store. As it turns out that was a good idea as ordering the large size instead of the snug fitting medium size would have resulted in product return.
I’m now a bit peeved that these have gone on sale this week with a deep discount of 35% and a price of $58. For those of you looking for overshoes, that’s a steal. They are very well made and are weather proof. I’ve been out in some really horrible wet and windy conditions over the last 2 weeks and they have kept my feet warm and mostly dry.
I’m giving them 4 out of 5 Marvs.
Heres some tech spec stuff about the overshoes I’ve pinched from the Trek website:
The Bontrager RXL Waterproof Softshell Shoe Cover – Black
- overshoes constructed with Profila shearling-backed Softshell fabric
- taped for waterproof and windproof protection in cold and wet conditions.
- zips are also waterproof
- velcro fastener at the ankle which ensures that the covers stay firmly in place.
- used with road cycling shoes with cleats.
- has reflective features to increase your visibility in low light conditions.